Friday, May 25, 2012

4:00 AM update!


Father and son moment
Will stabilized quickly and very well. He is intubated (a machine is breathing for him, so that his breathing is very controlled), and sedated. At first he was flat on his bed, but then our nurse got him all set up on a really soft pillow. I'd like my bed to be as soft as that pillow. All the tubes might look a little scary, but I think he is comfortable. Just a half hour ago, I wrapped his legs in a blanket and put mittens on him, so he is even more cozy. I will take a picture once the lights are back on.

I've slept about 3-4 hours since Monday night, but somehow I managed to stay up until rounds. The lactate levels in Will's blood went from a 6, to a 1.8. That level should be under a 2, so obviously their plan is working like a charm. We are most likely good to go on Will's stage 1 (Norwood) procedure this weekend. It is earlier than I expected, but I am glad that it is all the sooner he can recover and come home with us! I told the doctor we were warned that this could happen (too much blood to the lungs, causing the high lactate levels), but it was still just a little shocking. He said it happens to about 1 in 10 babies, and I said well then I'm not surprised after all... Of course Will is the special one!

Can never thank you all enough for your prayers, they are obviously working. Also, thank you for reading and following this blog. I am finding it such a comfort to be able to write about everything I am hearing. It really helps me to digest all of the information, and keep it straight in my head, especially at 4 in the morning when I have no one to talk to!!  Please continue to pray, especially this weekend for his Norwood procedure.

Comfy pillow :)

Picture with Grandma and Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment